All in the Diaspora are hereby advised not to rush to get HUDUMA number until the Government put in place e-passports issuing locations in all states. HUDUMA NUMBER IN ITS CURRENT FORM AND STATE IS NOT A GOOD IDEA 1. Kenyans in the diaspora have been patiently waiting, some close to 8 months, for identification
All in the Diaspora are hereby advised not to rush to get HUDUMA number until the Government put in place e-passports issuing locations in all states.
HUDUMA NUMBER IN ITS CURRENT FORM AND STATE IS NOT A GOOD IDEA
1. Kenyans in the diaspora have been patiently waiting, some close to 8 months, for identification cards and regular passports which we applied for last year. We have no reason to believe that this exercise of applying for Huduma Number will be more efficient or faster than the passports and ID’s that we are still waiting to receive.
2. There is not much clarity on why this number is needed, or why the haste. This project appears to be one of the many previous expensive failed projects that waste government funds and leave taxpayers on the hook. The haste with which the project is getting implemented is a source of unnecessary hardship to the wananchi.
3. This project was never brought to wannachi for input, never vetted, and never placed on a referendum or town hall meetings for discussion or to get buy in by the wananchi. It is a project that has been imposed and we wonder if there was even a think tank behind the genesis of this project.
4. There are several forms of identification that have and continue to be used to identify Kenyans efficiently i.e. the National ID, the passport and the Driver’s license.
While the Huduma Number may have its merits in a world where the government and justice systems work, we feel that this project, if its sole purpose is that of identification, then it is not good use of the taxpayer money, since we are adequately identified by the current forms of ID
6. Threatening to withhold government services from wananchi who do not apply for huduma number makes it even more suspect to Kenyans.
7. Cost of travelling to issuing location depending on where one lives in US is too costly and on the lower side each will incur $1,500 on average without even adding loss of earnings for two days.
8. If it is merely an identification number, it should be an open and ongoing process and easily available in all States where Kenyans live.
9. Registration for the same should run concurrently with the e-passport application and issuance.
10. All the same, we have fears of adequate security to protect this or other existing information once collected. We have no assurance of strategies having implemented to protect Huduma Number from hacking and our data being used for fraudulent purposes. These fears need to be addressed.
11.We would like the assurance that there are safeguards to minimize or remove any security breaches of Huduma Number and other personally identifying information collected by the government. If someone’s information is used to impersonate them, what remedy is available to protect them? These fears must be proactively addressed by the government.
12. To claim that this number will facilitate better services by the government is dishonest. A Huduma Number does not make services better. Services will be improved when the government invests in infrastructure including roads, hospitals, clean water, education, health, security and justice systems. Services will be improved only if corruption, nepotism, tribalism and fraud are stamped out of the system; When the justice system works; When corrupt government officials are prosecuted for breaking the law; When professors/teachers who coerce their students into inappropriately relationships are brought to justice.
We, in the diaspora therefore oppose the implementation of Huduma project and the forceful methods and innuendos used to coerce Kenyans in applying for this number with many questions about this project still unanswered. The government should first address the fears expressed by wananchi in Kenya and in the diaspora and provide concrete steps they have taken to ensure that the Huduma Number will be a success and not another of the many expensive failed government projects.
WE ARE NOT PROCEEDING TO DC TO GET SOMETHING THAT IS NOT CLEAR AND IF IN AGREEMENT, PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION TO URGE THE GOVERNMENT TO SERVE US BETTER.
KENYA PARENTS IN USA