The extension deadline for passports announced today by CS Interior Dr. Fred Matiangi, was met with mixed reactions and many Kenyans in the Diaspora, were somehow disappointed to note that no new passport issuing locations were announced.
The DNA had directly written a letter dated Feb 12th to CS Matiangi and the most urgent and important issue stressed, was to remove stringent conditions to those in Diaspora like the Kenyan Telephone number and PIN to the students studying abroad.
The Speaker of DNA Hon Elizabeth Njeru felt that it was rather disappointing to those in Australia and NewZealand as they still have to travel far to process the same.
Many in America also felt the same as the only issuing center at DC, especially to those residing in the middle and western states, was rather not appropriate for it will mean loosing two days of work.
The DNA CS Culture and Diaspora Holidays Lily Meyer, commented that the Government should have instead, come up with more issuing centers as suggested by the President of DNA in his letter and further act on the issues raised therein.
The documentation process is not a one time thing and therefore, a permanent solution should be sought to ensure that the same are issued on spot without sending them to Nairobi as that is where the delay occurs.
The DNA will however continue pressing the Government to consider especially the young generation in the Diaspora to be able to obtain documents at ease to avoid loosing a whole generation.
DNA is more than ready to partner with the Government to help in the process and the suggested new document issuing locations are, Atlanta, Dallas TX, Houston TX Washington Seattle, St Louis MO, Minneapolis MN, Chicago IL, Columbus OH, Raleigh NC. and Boston MA.
Those are the locations that the DNA have established and put in place representatives who are of repute, and who can handle any Government documentation issues, if there can be an established firm partnership between the Government and DNA.
The Government must solve this documentation issue without further delay to avoid inconveniencing those in Diaspora worldwide.
DIASPORA NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
Diaspora National Assembly
Feb, 12, 2020
LETTER TO MATIANGI AND COPIED TO OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT/ ATTN.
IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED TO ENABLE KENYANS IN DIASPORA TO APPLY FOR
PASSPORT AT EASE
The Diaspora National Assembly is a think-tank group that mirrors the Kenya National
Assembly whose members debate on issues that affect all in the Diaspora worldwide.
We have Assemblies in USA, Canada, and UK
We wish to draw your attention to the following for action as many in Diaspora are greatly
inconvenienced while applying passports.
- Kenya telephone number requirement while applying passport is inconveniencing many and the same to be adjusted to allow international numbers or emails for those in Diaspora.
- Children attaining majority age and minors should be exempted from obtaining PIN while applying passports.
- Government to facilitate more Passport issuing locations and processing of the same and issuing to be done by the Ambassador other than sending them to Nairobi.
- Processing of ID to be done by Embassy and ID issued without delay.
- Diaspora Desk is vital for faster service Delivery and DNA is now structured to offer any documentation services required and form partnership with the Embassy to facilitate any documentation services required especially in the vast USA and Europe.
Diaspora National Assembly
cc. Kenya Embassy DC